2012 NCVLI/NAVRA Training Series: ENHANCING JUSTICE FOR CRIME VICTIMS
This month the National Crime Victim Law Institute (NCVLI) and its bar association, the National Alliance of Victims’ Rights Attorneys (NAVRA), are launching the NCVLI/NAVRA 2012 Training Series which is designed to bring access to justice to crime victims nationwide by helping attorneys, advocates, allied professionals, and law students learn the skills necessary to represent and advocate for crime victims.
When victims of crime don’t have well-trained, dedicated legal representation, they can lose their rights and their access to justice can be impeded. NCVLI and NAVRA are working to protect and promote victims’ rights. Throughout 2012, NCVLI and NAVRA will partner with law schools and other educational institutions to conduct ten in-person continuing legal education courses in at least six states to increase the capacity of the legal profession to provide quality legal representation to victims of crime.
The series includes seven general victims’ rights litigation trainings and three specialized 2-day child-victims’ rights litigation trainings, plus a series of webinars to complement these in-person trainings. The goal is to ensure that by the end of 2012, the pool of practitioners who know the “how to” of victims’ rights enforcement and who may provide pro bono legal services to victims grows by at least 500 people.
NAVRA Webinar Training Series
- Protecting Victims from Re-Victimization: Securing Testimonial Accommodations - Wednesday, February 15th 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm. Click here to learn more and register.
- Monthly webinar trainings thereafter. Stay tuned for further information.
Specialized 2-Day Child Victim Training: Child-Victims: Providing Effective Rights Enforcement Representation
- Friday, February 24th & Saturday, February 25th at Lewis & Clark Law School, Portland, Oregon. Click here to learn more and register.
- Thursday, May 31st & Friday, June 1st at University of Colorado Law School, Denver, Colorado.
General Victims’ Rights Litigation Trainings: ABC’s of Representing Victims of Crime
- Friday, March 2nd at Phoenix School of Law, Phoenix, Arizona. Click here to learn more and register.
- Friday, April 27th at Florida Coastal School of Law, Jacksonville, Florida.
- Friday, May 4th at S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Friday, June 22nd at McGeorge School of Law at the University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California.
- Friday, June 29th at Stanford Law School, Palo Alto, California.
- TBD: University of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland.
- TBD: Lewis & Clark Law School, Portland, Oregon.
11th Annual Crime Victim Law Conference - Enhancing Justice: Empowerment Through Victims’ Rights
- June 7th-9th (with pre-Conference Institute on the 7th) in Portland, Oregon. Click here to learn more.
NAVRA members get access to the Webinar Training Series and members with Enhanced memberships also receive a $50 discount for all in-person trainings during 2012. See navra.org/join to learn more.
Sign up for one of these free or low-cost trainings today to receive continuing legal education credit and learn the skills necessary to advocate for victims of crime!
These presentations are produced in part by the National Crime Victim Law Institute under Grants No. 2010-VF-GX-K004 and 2009-SC-B9-0114, awarded by the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this presentation are those of the contributors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.